Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not MY recipes, just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference you can consult again and again rather than a daily inspiration. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is. Enjoy!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Tired Fruit?

I don't know about you, but sometimes I buy fruit but don't get around to eating it in a timely manner. It ends up looking tired and unappetizing, even though it's still edible, and I just hate to toss it in the compost. I feel like I've wasted my money.

This happened to me recently with some bananas, some fairly expensive organic kiwi, blueberries, and clementines. Here's what I came up with: wash it (apples, strawberries, blueberries) and/or peel it (bananas, kiwi, clementines) and/or deseed it (apples, pears) or whatever you need to do to have it in a ready-to-eat format. Put a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spread the tired fruit in a single layer on the paper. Put the cookie sheet in the freezer. Once the fruit is frozen, store it in the freezer in a plastic freezer bag. On a morning when you need a breakfast boost, throw that frozen fruit into the blender with some soy yogurt and/or fruit juice to get it to the right consistency and blend up a fruit smoothie. Voila! Your fruit wasn't wasted, you didn't have to force yourself to eat it in a tired and unappetizing format, and you have a healthy and yummy breakfast. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment