Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not MY recipes, just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference you can consult again and again rather than a daily inspiration. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is. Enjoy!

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Spring Frittata

I had a brunch today where I served a frittata (a sort of crustless quiche or maybe an omelet that isn't folded in half).  The recipe started from Williams-Sonoma, but their recipe is designed for their frittata pan, which I don't have.  I also tailored the ingredients somewhat.  Here's how I did it:

1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1 bunch asparagus, washed, woody stem ends removed
1 shallot, thinly sliced
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
8 eggs
1/2 c. heavy cream (I used Organic Valley.)
1 T. snipped fresh chives
3/4 c. organic cheddar cheese (I used Organic Valley.), shredded or grated
1 T. vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance.)

The asparagus and shallot need to be cooked for the frittata, and you can do this in advance.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Pour the olive oil in a shallow baking dish.  Add the asparagus, shallot, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat in the oil.  Arrange the asparagus in a single layer and roast for 20 minutes, shaking the pan every 5 minutes to ensure the vegetables stay coated.  Allow to cool down and cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces.

Mix the eggs, cream, chives, and salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Stir in the cheddar cheese.

Melt the margarine in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Pour the egg mixture into the pan, ensuring the vegetables are evenly distributed.  Allow the bottom of the eggs to set.  Using a wooden spoon, lift the edges of the frittata to allow the uncooked egg to run underneath to cook.  Once most of the liquid egg is cooked and the bottom is browned, you need to flip the frittata over.  This is the tricky part.  If you have another large non-stick skillet, you can melt another T. of margarine in that and turn your frittata into the new pan, uncooked side down.  If you don't (I didn't.), you'll have to use a trick my mom used today:  Get something with a surface large enough to cover the frittata (like a pan lid or platter) and grease it.  Put it face down on the frittata and flip the frittata onto the greased surface, then slide it back into the same pan, uncooked side down.  That's the hard part.  After you're that far, it's a piece of cake.  Allow the underside to brown, the slide out of the pan onto a serving platter.  Voila!

Cut into pie-shaped pieces and serve.  This serves about 6 people.  I regret that I did not photograph it, because it was quite lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment