Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not MY recipes, just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference you can consult again and again rather than a daily inspiration. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is. Enjoy!

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sweet Potato Lasagna

Let me preface this recipe by saying I really do not approve of dishes that are mainly CHEESE.  That having been said, I have been looking for ways to incorporate more sweet potatoes into my diet, and this idea struck me as a good one.  I can't take full credit, because I know I've seen a recipe somewhere for sweet potato lasagna.  But I didn't have one to follow, so I made this up.  It can be used as a main dish or a side dish.


Ingredients:
3 T. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced very thin with a mandoline
15 - 16 oz. organic ricotta cheese (I used Organic Valley brand.)
2 free-range eggs
1/2 t. salt plus more, to taste
1/8 t. freshly-ground black pepper
6 - 8 oz. organic mozzarella (Again, I used Organic Valley.), shredded  (TIP:  Mozzarella is a soft-ish cheese.  Putting the block in the freezer for about 10 minutes before shredding firms it up and makes the shredding easier.)

Method:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.  Put 2 T. olive oil into an 8 x 11-inch baking dish.  Using a paper towel, grease the entire dish with the oil.

In a medium skillet, heat 1 T. olive oil over mediumheat.  Sauté the chopped onion until transluscent, about 5 - 8 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Mix the onion, ricotta, eggs, 1/2 t. salt, and black pepper to make the ricotta custard.

Layer 1/3 of your sweet potato slices in the bottom of the greased baking dish and salt to taste.  Top the sweet potato layer with 1/3 of the shredded mozzarella.  Spread 1/2 of the ricotta custard over the cheese.  Layer another 1/3 of the sweet potato slices over the ricotta (salt to taste), then another 1/3 of the shredded mozzarella. Spread the other half of the ricotta custard over the cheese.  Top with the last 1/3 of sweet potatoes and cover the dish with aluminum foil.

Bake the lasagna at 400 degrees F until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.  Remove the foil and sprinkle on the final 1/3 of the mozzarella.  Continue baking, uncovered, until the top layer of cheese is melted and slightly browned.  Remove from oven and allow to set for 5 minutes before serving.

I served the lasagna with broccoli, speckled butter beans, and cornbread:

No comments:

Post a Comment