Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Monday, January 21, 2008

Roasted Root Vegetables

I don't even remember what magazine I cut this out of...maybe an old Vegetarian Times. This is a perfect earthy, autumn dish. Try serving it with a big salad or sauteed kale, crusty European bread, and glasses of red wine.

2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/3-inch pieces
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 turnips (or rutabagas), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I sometimes skip this ingredient.)
4 beets, peeled and cut into halves or quarters, depending on size
2 onions, peeled and cut into quarters
6 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly mashed with the side of a knife
extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling

salt and pepper, to taste
fresh or dried herbs (like rosemary!)


Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Put all root vegetables and the garlic cloves in an uncovered 9" x 13" roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil over all and sprinkle with 1/2 t. salt (or to taste) and pepper to taste; mix to distribute oil, then sprinkle with herbs. Cook in the lower 1/3 of the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or until browned. (A fork should easily pierce the white potatoes.)  Don't be alarmed if the beets turn almost black...it's normal. Every 20 minutes or so during cooking, remove the pan from the oven and use a spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the starchy vegetables.  Adjust salt and pepper if needed, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment