Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Twice-Baked Potatoes

I've started a new job this week, and I'm tired! I know I've been kind of M.I.A. recently, and that's why. Anyhoo, are you needing something new for a dinner entrée? Here's something exciting: twice-baked potatoes!

You need:
baking potatoes
salt and freshly ground black pepper
smoked paprika (regular paprika will do but it's not as exciting)
yummy stuff to put in your potatoes like leftover grilled peppers and onions, snipped chives, extra-virgin olive oil, vegan sour cream...use your imagination! I usually like to have something onion-y and something high-fat. What?!

To make them:
Scrub the potatoes clean, then bake them at 475 degrees F for an hour. Don't wrap the potatoes in aluminum foil to bake them, because you want the potato skins to crisp up.

Once the potatoes are done cooking, remove them from the oven. Slice them in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop most of the flesh from each potato-skin shell into a bowl. Salt the inside of the shells.

Using a fork, mash the potato pulp like you would any baked potato. Stir in salt and pepper to taste along with whatever yummy stuff you want to add. Like I said, I like to include something with a lot of fat to get a more exciting mouth-feel. That would be, like, extra-virgin olive oil and/or vegan sour cream and/or vegan margarine. When I made them this week, I stirred in
chopped grilled onions, chopped grilled bell peppers, and olive oil. The grilling of the veggies really makes this dish outstanding!

Scoop the seasoned pulp back into the potato shells, dividing it evenly among the shells.

Put the shells on a jelly roll pan or other baking vessel, then sprinkle each potato with the smoked paprkia. Pop it back into the oven until warmed through and slightly crisped on the surface.

You can serve this with a green salad or green vegetable, a protein source like beans or tempeh, and a bread like yeast rolls or baguette to make a delicious and balanced meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment