Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Monday, February 25, 2013

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

Yesterday I set out to make some muffins for breakfast, and I thought I'd make the cranberry pumpkin muffins I previously posted (recipe here).  However, when I started getting out all the ingredients and getting everything ready, I just felt like it was too heavy, too autumn if you will.  I was feeling more spring.  My eyes noticed the poppy seeds in my spice cabinet, and the thought of lemon poppy seed muffins really fit the bill:  I had a fridge full of lemons, my muffin papers are the colors of easter eggs, and the flavor had a spring-like profile.  Done!

This recipe is based on the one in the quintessential cookbook Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker.  They were totally delicious.

Ingredients:
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 T. baking powder (try to find aluminum-free baking powder)
1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1.5 T. poppy seeds
2 large eggs (vegans could use Ener-G Egg Replacer), lightly beaten
1 c. plant-based milk
1/3 c. brown sugar, packed
1/4 c. plus 3 T. canola oil
1 t. almond extract
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 T. grated lemon zest
Method:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Either grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line the tins with muffin papers.
In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, granulated sugar, and poppy seeds.
In another medium bowl, mix the eggs (or Egg Replacer), plant-based milk, brown sugar, canola oil, almond extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.  Stir until JUST MIXED, keeping the stirring to a minimum.  Too much mixing will make the muffins heavy, so the batter will be (and should be) lumpy.
Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups.  Bake about 20 minutes or until muffins are golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment