Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Indian Green Tomato Pakoras

These fritters are SERIOUSLY GOOD.  A big thank-you to Country Living magazine for the recipe!
 

Ingredients:
1 c. chickpea flour (a.k.a. garbanzo bean flour)
1/2 c. rice flour
1 t. cumin seeds
1 t. chili powder
1 t. turmeric powder
salt
1 lb. green tomatoes, chopped into matchsticks
3 shallots or 1 onion, thinly sliced
3 c. vegetable oil, for frying
 
Method:
In a large bowl, combine the chickpea flour, rice flour, cumin seeds, chili powder, turmeric powder, and 2 t. salt.  Stir with a fork to combine.  Add the tomatoes and shallots/onions to the mixture.  Divide the mixture into 16 patties, using your palm to gently flatten.
 
(NOTE:  I used green Roma tomatoes, and I had trouble getting the batter to hold together into patties.  I assume this is due to the fact that Romas have less juice and more meat.  I suggest using green slicers instead of Roma or paste tomatoes to make patties.  I made a few patties, but I ultimately just tossed in the coated vegetable pieces into the oil without forming patties.  It was still very good, mind you!  Just not what I expected.)
 
In a heavy 2-quart pot fitted with a deep-fry thermometer, heat the oil over medium-high heat to 350 degrees F.  Working in batches of 4, fry the fritters until golden, 3 - 4 minutes.  Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain.  Serve hot.
 
The magazine provided this analysis per 2-fritter serving:  4g protein, 15g fat, 19g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 603mg sodium, 0mg cholesterol, 220 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment