Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Friday, December 6, 2013

Tofu Cubans

I got this excellent Cuban recipe from Food Network magazine...and no, I didn't substitute the tofu for something else.  Their recipe called for it!  Although I was a little skeptical about the combination of the ingredients, these sandwiches were so good last night that we're having them again for lunch today.  YUM.



Ingredients:
1 14-oz. pkg extra-firm tofu, well drained (Not the silken kind.  I like to freeze my tofu for 24 hours, then thaw it.  It improves the texture.)
1.5 T. canola oil
1 small onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
juice of one orange
4 small hoagie rolls, split
1/4 c. yellow or stone-ground mustard (optional)
2/3 c. roasted red peppers, drained
1/2 kosher dill pickle, sliced (about 1/4 cup)
Method:
Squeeze the excess moisture out of the block of tofu.  Lay the tofu on a cutting board and cut into 8 equal slices.

Heat the canola oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until the onion is translucent.  Remove the onion and garlic from the pan and set aside.

Add the tofu slices to the iron skillet and pour the orange juice evenly over the tofu. Salt to taste.  Turn the heat to medium-high, and cook until the tofu is golden, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side.  Remove the tofu from the pan.  Turn heat back down to medium.
Spread the cut sides of the rolls with mustard, if using. Sandwich each prepared roll with 1/4 of the peppers, pickle, tofu, and onion mixture.  Working in batches, add the sandwiches to the hot cast-iron skillet, then top with another heavy skillet to flatten.  Cook until golden brown, 2 - 3 minutes per side.  Serve warm.
(I admit, sometimes I skip cooking the whole sandwich and just layer the onion/garlic mixture, tofu, pepper, and pickle on the roll and get chomping!)

Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment