Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Edamame Quinoa Salad

Here's a great recipe from the Eating Well website, which I have been LOVING this year.  I like a bigger ratio of dressing than they suggested, but if you like less dressing, I encourage the tweak.  This salad is good warm or cold.  We serve it over butter lettuce with a baked potato on the side.
Ingredients:

1.5 c. quinoa (I used the tri-color quinoa in the photo, but any color will do.)
3 c. vegetable broth
3 c. frozen mukimame (shelled edamame)
2 T. freshly grated lemon zest
4 T. lemon juice
4 T. extra-virgin olive oil
4 T. fresh tarragon, thyme, or basil, chopped (or substitute 4 t. if using dried herb)
1 t. salt
1 c. jarred roasted red peppers, drained and diced






Method:
Toast the quinoa in a large, dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until it becomes fragrant and begins to crackle, about 5 minutes.  Transfer to a fine mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly.

In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil over high heat.  Add the quinoa and return to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 8 minutes.  Lift the lid and, without disturbing the quinoa, add the edamame.  Replace the cover and cook until both the quinoa and the edamame are tender, about 7 - 8 more minutes.  Drain any extra liquid, if necessary.

Whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, herb, and salt in a large bowl.  Add the chopped peppers, quinoa, and edamame.  Toss to combine.

Serves 4 - 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment