Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Mediterranean Bulgur Bowl

I made this one up myself, but the sauce is based on a bowl sauce from Eating Well magazine.  It's super easy, so it's perfect for a weeknight, and besides boiling water, there's no heat involved, so it's perfect for summer!

Ingredients:
1 c. bulgur
2 c. boiling water
¾ t. salt, divided
¼ c. tahini
Juice of one lemon
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced (or ¼ t. garlic powder)
4 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cucumber, diced
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
½ c. fresh parsley, chopped



Method:
Mix the bulgur, boiling water, and ¼ t. salt in a medium bowl, and allow to stand until the bulgur is chewy, about 15-20 minutes.  When chewy consistency is reached, drain off any excess water.

Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining ½ t. salt, tahini, lemon juice, garlic (or garlic powder), and olive oil.  Add up to ¼ c. water, 1 T. at a time, to bring the sauce to the desired consistency.

Divide the bulgur between 4 wide, shallow bowls.  Top each bowl with ¼ of each:  chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, and parsley.  Drizzle each bowl with ¼ of the sauce.  Serve immediately.

Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment