Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Homemade Mayonnaise

I have a friend, Jacqueline, who is from France.  I remember the first time I made mayonnaise at home, I was going crazy about how easy it was.  Jacqueline told me that store-bought mayonnaise was a novelty to her when she moved to the United States, because everyone just makes it at home in France.  Why would you buy it with a bunch of weird ingredients at the store when it is so simple to make at home?

I have to be honest about mayonnaise:  I don't really like it.  But I do occasionally have a use for it, which is why I started making it in the first place.  Now Scott makes it, because he does like it and will go through a batch easily if it gets made.  And Scott's not a cook...That's how easy homemade mayonnaise is.

This recipe is not mine.  I got it straight from Mollie Katzen's Moosewood CookbookI hope she doesn't mind if I share it with you.  I should also mention that this cookbook has a recipe for homemade vegan mayonnaise, too, so if you're vegan, you should pick up a copy of her cookbook for that recipe (and many others).


1 large egg (I like to use free-range eggs.  Yes, they are more expensive.  However, the chickens have a better quality of life, and you CAN taste and even see a difference in these eggs.)
3 T. cider vinegar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. dry mustard
1 1/4 c. canola oil


That's all of the ingredients!  Aren't you amazed?  Here's what you do:


Put the egg, vinegar, salt, mustard, and 2 T. of the canola oil in your blender.  Start the motor running and let it go for a few seconds.  With the motor running, start drizzling in the remaining oil.  The mixture will change to mayonnaise before your eyes!  I never get tired of watching this happen.


Sometimes my mayo gets so thick before all the oil is incorporated that I have to turn off the motor and manually mix some oil in with a spoon, then turn the motor back on.  Either way, once all the oil is incorporated, turn off the motor and scrape every last bit of the mayo into a jar or container.  Refrigerate your homemade mayonaise, and there you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment