Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Garlicky Red Lentil Dip or Spread

I think I've mentioned before how I will sometimes get a good recipe and hang onto it for quite a long time before trying it.  I don't always have the emotional or creative space to try out something new, and when I do, that recipe might not fit the bill for that moment.  Well, this is one of those recipes, but I'm so glad I finally got around to trying it!  My friend Elaine, who lives in Tampa, mailed this to me a few years ago.  I'm not sure where she got it, but I'm glad she shared it!

This recipe is for a garlic-y red lentil dip that can easily be used as a spread for crostini, canapes, or even, as below, a sandwich!  The dip is hummus-like, but it does not have garbanzo beans nor tahini.  It's deliciously vegan and makes about 2 cups or maybe more.













Ingredients:
1 c. red lentils
1.5 c. water
6 medium cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 t. salt
1.5 t. ground cumin
1 t. chili powder
1/4 t. hot red pepper sauce (or more, to taste)

Method:
Place the lentils, water, and garlic cloves in a medium saucepan and bring the water to a boil over high heat.  Boil for 3 minutes, then remove the pan from heat.  Cover and let stand for 12 minutes or until the lentils have absorbed the water.

Put the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, cumin, chili powder, and hot pepper sauce in the work bowl of a food processor.  Add the lentils and garlic, and purée until smooth.  Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately as a dip - or spread over crostini, canapes, or your sandwich bread to build something else delicious.  (I made a sandwich on baguette bread and stacked up the spread, mild banana pepper rings, avocado slices, arugula, and tomato slices, and I served it with crinkle-cut fries.)

No comments:

Post a Comment