Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pumpkin-Banana Muffins

This is a muffin recipe I got from a friend maybe....15 years ago?  I modified it to have pumpkin and chocolate chips and nuts.  It makes the muffins more interesting and more healthy!


Ingredients:
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
2 1/2 t. baking powder (Try to buy the kind that does NOT have aluminum in it.)
3/4 t. salt
1 egg, beaten (If you want to make these vegan, use Ener-G Egg Replacer.)
1/2 c. plant-based milk
1/3 c. canola oil
1/2 c. canned pumpkin purée (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
1 banana, peeled and mashed with a fork
1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional, but delicious!)

Method:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.  Grease a 12-muffin tin (or line with cupcake papers).

In a 2-quart bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well-blended.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour in the egg, milk, oil, pumpkin, and banana.  Mix with a wooden spoon until just blended.  Fold in nuts and chocolate chips, if using, until just evenly distributed.

Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin tins.  Bake 20 - 25 minutes until golden.  Cool on a wire rack.

NOTE:  If you don't have any canned pumpkin, you can omit the pumpkin and just use 2 mashed bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment