Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Lemony Asparagus Double-Cous

I used a recipe from Donna Klein's cookbook The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen as the springboard for this one.  It turned out tasty, light, and perfect for spring.  I served it with steamed carrot coins and was really satisfied with the combination.  See what you think!



Ingredients:
1 1/2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 bunch asparagus, washed and woody ends removed
2 c. vegetable broth
chopped zest of one large lemon
juice of one large lemon
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
1 1/2 c. instant couscous
Method:
Chop the asparagus into 1-inch pieces.
In a large skillet that has a well-fitting lid, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the chopped onion and sauté 2 or 3 minutes.  Add the chopped asparagus and continue to sauté until the onion is transparent and the asparagus is tender-crisp (or to the texture you like).
Add the broth, lemon zest, lemon juice, chickpeas, salt (I usually start at 1 t. salt.  If your end result is on the bland side, you haven't used enough salt.), and pepper.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Stir in the couscous, cover, and remove from heat.  Let stand until all the liquids are absorbed, about 7 minutes.
Uncover and fluff the couscous with a fork.  (Do not do a spotty job with the fluffing, because it will not easily fluff later, and you'll have clumpy couscous.)  Serve warm or at room temperature (or, heck, even cold if you like!).  Serves 4 as a main dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment