Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Beet Risotto with Greens


This exquisite dish is from Deborah Madison's cookbook Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.  Her description of the "jewel-toned" dish intrigued me, and I'm kind of a sucker for beets anyway, so I had to try it.  Scott, on the other hand, is a hard sell on beets, but even he liked this unusual and lovely dish.  The color is brilliant!



Ingredients:
5.5 - 6.5 c. vegetable stock or bouillon
3 T. butter or a mixture of butter and olive oil (I always use vegan margarine in place of butter.)
1/2 c. finely diced onion
1.5 c. Arborio rice (It's important to use this type of rice, which gives risotto its creamy texture.)
1/2 c. dry white wine
2 T. chopped parsley
2 T. chopped basil or 1 T. dried basil
2 - 3 medium beets, peeled and grated, about 2 cups
2 - 3 c. greens (beet greens, chard, kale, spinach, or collards - stems removed, finely chopped)
salt and freshly ground pepper
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon

Method:
Have the stock simmering on the stove.  Heat the butter in a wide, deep pot, add the onion, and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add the rice, stir to coat it well, and cook for 1 minute.  Add the wine and simmer until it's absorbed, then stir in half of the parsley and all of the basil, the grated beets, and the chard, kale, or collard greens (if using...if using beet greens or spinach, wait).  Add 2 c. stock, cover, and cook at a lively simmer until the stock is absorbed.  Begin adding the remaining stock in 1/2-cup increments, stirring constantly until each addition is absorbed before adding the next.  When there is 1 c. of stock left, add the beet greens or spinach, if using.  Taste for salt (I'm generous with this maligned seasoning.), season with pepper, then stir in the lemon zest and juice to taste.  Serve with the remaining parsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment