Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Broccoli Cornbread

This recipe is modified from a couple of recipes that appear in a cookbook my extended family put together for a family reunion.  I love this as a hearty snack or as an entrée served with a big pot of beans.  I think you'll love it, too.

Vegans could try substituting Ener-G's Egg Replacer.


Ingredients:
1 stick vegan margarine (I like Earth Balance.)
2 c. yellow cornmeal, plus more for dusting the skillet
1 c. flour
1.5 T. baking powder
1.25 t. salt
2 T. sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1.5 c. plant-based milk of your choice
1 medium onion, chopped
1 10-oz. bag frozen broccoli

Method:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  During the preheat, melt the vegan margarine in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet in the oven.  (Cast iron is traditional for cornbread, people!)

In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together with a fork.  Stir in the eggs and milk.  When well mixed, stir in the melted butter until well blended.  Stir in the chopped onion.  Finally, stir in the broccoli.

In the butter-coated skillet, sprinkle cornmeal to cover the bottom, then pour the batter over the cornmeal.  Bake until the cornbread is golden and the sides of the bread start pulling away from the skillet (45 - 60 minutes).  Serve huge, delicious chunks with a side of beans, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment