Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Firecrackers


There is no excuse for this recipe other than its deliciousness and vegetarianness. There isn't anything "nutritious" about them, and they're not low in calories. But dang, they're tasty and addictive!
Vegans, be sure to check the ingredients on the ranch dip mix and the crackers to be sure. The ingredients will vary from brand to brand.


Ingredients:
1 box saltine crackers
1 package dry ranch dip mix
1 and 1/3 c. canola oil (as if crackers are not fattening enough already, right?)
2 T. cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Method:
Put the crackers in a large bowl or container. Mix all other ingredients together and pour over the crackers. Cover bowl or container securely and begin to turn over and over slowly to coat the crackers while not breaking them. Do this for about 4 minutes. Believe it or not, the crackers will absorb most of the oil. (I know I had a hard time believing it when I began.)

Move the crackers to new container to store or serve.

Serving suggestion: If you only need these to be vegetarian, you could serve them with slices of organic cheese to balance the spiciness of the cayenne.

No comments:

Post a Comment