Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Leftover Mashed Potatoes Get New Life as Potato Gnocchi

So, as I already told you, Scott and I took home a LOT of leftovers from my mom's Christmas dinner. Two people can only eat so many mashed potatoes, you know? It's great the first few days, but then you start wanting to escape. That's when I came up with a plan that kept the potatoes in circulation (I don't believe in throwing away food when some people are wondering when they're going to get to eat again.): gnocchi. Now, I think I already have a recipe somewhere on the blog for gnocchi, and you just use it as a roadmap for the leftover mashed potatoes. Here's how:

1. Put a large pot of salted water on the stove to boil.
2. Measure how much leftover mashed potatoes you have. (e.g. I had 3 cups of mashed potatoes.)
3. Measure out half as much all-purpose flour. (e.g. I measured 1.5 cups of AP flour.)
4. Mix the potatoes and the flour together with your hands to make the gnocchi dough. You may have to add a little more flour if the dough is still sticky.
5. Break the dough into sections, 1 section for every cup of potatoes you had. (This is flexible. Whatever feels right.)
6. Roll each section on a floured countertop to form a long tube, about 1 inch in diameter.
7. Use a sharp knife to cut each tube into 1-inch-long pieces. Press your thumb into the middle of each piece to make a dent.
8. Drop gnocchi into the boiling water. Once the dumplings rise to the top of the water, start the timer: 2 minutes.
9. Remove the gnocchi from the water after 2 minutes of floating. (You may have to do this in batches. You can use olive oil to keep the gnocchi from sticking together.)
10. Serve with your favorite tomato pasta sauce over the top and a green salad on the side.

Voila! Dinner! (Note: If your potatoes were made with vegan milk/butter, this is vegan. Otherwise, vegetarian.)

No comments:

Post a Comment