Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Monday, January 31, 2011

Grilled Vegetables

Scott and I grilled vegetables outside last night, because we had some unseasonably warm weather this past weekend. I know most people use gas-powered grills these days, but I just don't think the results or the experience are the same as grilling over a wood fire. You can grill most any vegetable (or fruit for that matter...think pineapple!), but some require advanced preparation or extra-long cooking (potatoes, winter squash). We usually do corn-on-the-cob, bell peppers, thick onion slices, tomato halves, asparagus, and thick baguette slices, and last night was no exception. Thick, lengthwise slices or "steaks" of zucchini and/or yellow squash are also good in a summer grilling assortment. I know it's abominable that we were grilling summer vegetables like tomatoes and peppers last night, as they are totally out of season, but what can I say? The warm weather put me in the mood. At least the corn was frozen from a previous gardening season. I also like to have half a baked potato and some vegetarian baked beans with our grilled vegetables.

Here's a marinade or basting sauce you can use when you grill out vegetables. It's what we use, too.:
extra-virgin olive oil
salt
freshly ground pepper
2 or 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
crushed red pepper
minced garlic

You can use whatever proportions or amounts suit your fancy and, of course, modify the ingredient list to your own tastes. The earlier in advance you make your basting sauce, the more infused the oil will be with the seasoning.

Consider grilling extra vegetables when you are already going to the trouble of grilling outside. The smoke-infused flavor of grilled onions and peppers really add an extra dimension of flavor to vegetarian sandwiches, veggie pizza, burritos, and pasta dishes. I especially like to have a lot of extra grilled onions, because they go with everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment