Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Friday, July 26, 2013

Peach Pie

Aaaaahhhhh, summer.  It's the only time of year I don't flat-out require my desserts to be chocolate (although I certainly don't turn down a delicious vegan chocolate sorbet).  For Independence Day this year, I made a peach pie, and it was completely gone two days later.  The recipe is from the seminal cookbook Joy of Cooking.



For the crust, use the same crust recipe previously posed with the cherry pie recipe (here), right up to the point where you put the 2 discs of dough into the fridge to rest for 20 - 30 minutes.  For the peach pie:

Ingredients:
3 lbs. peaches, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1/2 - 3/4 c. sugar (depending on how sweet the peaches are)
3 T. cornstarch
3 T. fresh lemon juice
1/4 t. almond extract
1/8 t. salt
2 T. vegan margarine (I like Earth Balance brand.), cut into small pieces
2 T. sugar


Method:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Mix the peach slices, 1/2 - 3/4 c. sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, almond extract, and salt in a bowl.  Let the mixture stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, roll out one disc of pie dough to line a 9- or 10-inch pie plate.  Line the plate.  Pour the filling into the bottom crust, and dot the filling with the vegan margarine pieces.
Roll the other disc of pie dough into a circle large enough to cover the pie, and lay it over the filling.  Use your fingers to pinch the top and bottom crusts together.  Cut vents into the top crust, and sprinkle with the remaining 2 T. sugar.
Bake 55 - 65 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.  Cool completely on a rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment