Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Tomato-Ginger Couscous (or Quinoa) with Chickpeas

I was very happy to find this simple main dish, because I was in the mood for something new and different.  It easily pairs with the lemony cauliflower, previously posted.
The recipe is courtesy of Food Network Magazine, although I added the chickpeas and the gluten-free quinoa variation.  The chickpeas are optional and can be omitted for a side dish of "just" couscous or quinoa.



Ingredients:
2 tomatoes, cored
2 T. tomato paste
2 T. water
1 T. red wine vinegar
fresh ginger, 1-inch to 2-inch piece (I used a 1-inch piece, but the recipe called for a 2-inch piece.  That seemed kind of intense to me, but you can be the judge.), peeled
1 garlic clove, peeled
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. ground turmeric
2 T. olive oil
1 c. water (or 2 c. water if using quinoa)
1 c. couscous or quinoa  (if using quinoa, first rinse it under cool water.)
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (optional)
Method:
In a blender, purée the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 T. water, red wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, salt, and turmeric.
In a skillet with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the purée and cook, stirring, until thickened to a paste (about 12 minutes).

If making COUSCOUS:  Add 1 c. water, and bring to a simmer.  Remove from heat, stir in couscous, cover, and let sit 10 minutes.

If making QUINOA:  Add 2 c. water, and bring to a simmer.  Add quinoa, and stir.  Cover and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.

Fluff with a fork and toss with chickpeas, if using.  Season with additional salt, if desired, and serve warm.

Serves 3 - 5 as a main dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment