Welcome!

Welcome to Romeo's Food Lady! This blog contains recipes for delicious vegetarian food. Most of these are not recipes authored by me. Rather, this is just a compilation of great veggie food I've found from all over the place, usually tweaked just a little. It's intended to be a reference FOR ME so I don't lose great food I've found nor the changes I've made to suit my tastes, but I'm happy for you to use it, too. After more than 25 years of being a vegetarian, I know what tastes good.
Romeo's Food Lady is named after my friend and cat, Romeo. Romeo is not a vegetarian, but his Food Lady is!

Monday, July 22, 2013

Spicy Green Tomato Salad

Looking for something to do with those green garden tomatoes until they turn red?  Me, too!  Enter Food Network Magazine with this fantastic recipe.  It allowed me to use some green tomatoes and a garden jalepeno.  Tell me what you think!


Ingredients:
1.5 lbs. green (unripe - not the kind that are SUPPOSED to be green) tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
1.5 t. salt, separated
juice of 1 lime
1 t. dijon mustard
1 T. honey (local honey is best)
1 small jalepeno pepper, deseeded and minced
1 T. fresh thyme (or 1 t. dried thyme)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
2 avocados
2 c. chopped lettuce leaves (or more, to taste)

Method:
Put the tomato wedges in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 t. salt.  Let set 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk the lime juice, mustard, honey, jalepeno, thyme, 1/2 t. salt, and pepper, to taste, in a large bowl.  Gradually pour in the olive oil, whisking constantly until emulsified.

When ready to serve, half the avocados, remove the pits, peel, and thinly slice.  Add to the bowl with the dressing, then add the lettuce and tomatoes.  Gently toss to coat.  Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired, and serve immediately.

Serves 6 - 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment